CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 03, 2006

THE INCIDENT REVEALED

I led my team toward the Giant Tree swing at RVR. The day was partly sunny with a cool breeze. But the woods seemed angry that day. Like an old man sending back soup at a deli.

We turned the corner and came face to face with a black bear! He was 12 feet tall if he was a foot.

I stepped in front of the group. Putting myself between the kids and the bear.

I yelled for him to leave, but he just stood there. He stared at me and I stared back. He lunged toward me. I yelled for the group to run!

I tackled him and we rolled over down a small slope. Shell shocked, we both stood back up . He charged again, and this time I tried to kick him. As my foot headed for his huge jaw, he raised his paw and swung at my leg. He grazed the back of my leg, but didn't slow it down enough. My foot connected just to the side of his nose. He howled and ran off into the woods never to be seen again. I only wish that I did not have to hurt the giant beast, but the safety of the kids always comes first.

We continued on to the swing and finished our retreat without any further incidents. It is a day that I will never forget.

4 comments:

Jason Fullen said...

I think this may be my new favorite story ever. Lord of the Rings moves to second place!

Mom of 6 said...

Nice photo! Your leg looks awesome! My people loved the BA retreat. Thanks for all that you and Jen did.

Mom of 6 said...

Josh says that's not exactly how it happened, Mr. Lou!

Lou said...

Sorry Suzie, but Josh wasn't actually there.

Thanks Jason! True stories are easy to tell.....